Friday, January 28, 2011

Preparing for Sunday, 1-30-11

I can't really express how excited I am for this coming Sunday. Pastor John will be preaching through Colossians 1:15-20, which is one of my favorite passages in all Scripture. The passage is thought to be (possibly) a hymn of the early church, that Paul quotes from. In it, Paul expresses some of the most profound theology about Christ in the Bible. Some of us had a great time this week discussing the passage, and what it says about our God and Savior - that Christ has the place of importance above everything else, that He is the head of the church, and that He has made peace with God for us by the blood of His cross. And that's the Twitter-worthy, super abbreviated, short version of what this passage is saying.

We'll be singing about the glory of Christ this Sunday, and the riches and confidence we can have in our sovereign Savior. We'll also respond after the preaching with a couple of songs, which we don't always do. So, I thought I would highlight a line or two from each song, and let the lyrics speak for themselves. Enjoy!

"No condemnation now I dread - Jesus and all in Him is mine. Alive in Him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine!

"Amazing love, how can it be, that Thou, my God, should'st die for me!"

"King of all days, You're so highly exalted, glorious in heaven above. Humbly You came to the earth You created, all for love's sake became poor."

"I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom; but I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection!"

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness."

5. Glorious (New(er) song! )
"No greater thought can be conceived than what You did to purchase me, O Lord [...] from sin, despair and Satan's spell; from righteous wrath, eternal hell."

"Glorious, over us, You shall reign glorious!"

No comments:

Post a Comment