Friday, October 22, 2010

Preparing for Sunday, 10-24-10

I really want to emphasize a new song we'll be singing this week. It's a newer arrangement to an old hymn (written in 1738 to be exact), called "And Can It Be That I Should Gain" by Charles Wesley (pictured at left). The more I research classic hymns of the church, I keep being drawn to Wesley's. His poetry, and the way some of his hymns combine poetry and melody are pretty amazing, to say the least.

Almost a year and a half ago, I learned "And Can It Be" at the Resolved conference in Palm Springs. I love the poetry of the song, and the way it narrates through different aspects of the Gospel. My favorite part of the song is the 3rd stanza, where the lyrics focus in on the moment in the salvation of a believer, when the Holy Spirit first takes possession. The language echoes 2 Corinthians 4:6, where Paul says that in the same way that God spoke light into existence, He has caused light and life to exist in our sinful hearts. Wesley writes,

Long my imprison'd spirit lay
Fast-bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light
My chains fell off, my heart was free
I rose, went forth and followed Thee!

Amazing love, how can it be
That Thou, my God, should'st die for me!

I hope that week-to-week, as we repeatedly find our way again and again into the content of the Gospel in our corporate worship, that this hymn can be added in, and that it can help us speak these great truths of the Gospel to ourselves and to each other. You can watch Enfield, the Resolved band, play the song here.

John will be preaching this Sunday from Titus 2:1,2 - on the character and ambitions of a Godly man. We'll also be singing the following, focusing on the Gospel, and our response in holy living:

1. Your Grace is Enough
2. And Can It Be
3. Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
4. Take My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment