Monday, October 31, 2011

Reflecting on Sunday, 10/30/11

 Happy Reformation Day!

If you're feeling nostalgic, here's what happened in church last year on Reformation Day. Also in Reformation Day spirit, here's a great quote from Martin Luther about music: "[After] the word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world."

Ok, so first of all I want to dispel any rumors that there was something wrong yesterday morning. Tim Plaster and I planned about a month ago for him to lead music on a week that I was actually around. I'd get a break from leading and planning the set, but still get to play in the band. This gave Tim and I a chance to talk after Thursday night's rehearsal, and after this morning at church, and share feedback with each other. Moving forward, it's my plan to do this every so often. I never want things to center around me (or anyone else), being the personality that has to be the one leading or things can't get done. The goal is always to have a few guys who can switch off with leading music, give one another breaks, and help one another grow and sharpen what we're doing.

In many ways, this isn't too different from the main preaching pastor giving away a Sunday once in a while, to faithful guys who can also preach. But no, nothing was wrong with me, or with anything else.

All that to say, I think yesterday morning was great. The congregation sang really well - we could really hear the upswell of voices on the stage. Also, I had an awesome time just playing in the band and singin' backup. It was super fun to play over by Jeff on the stage, and sing along with the congregation.

I'm coming back to lead with a vengeance next Sunday, so get ready to sing well, and loud.

We sang the following songs this week:
1. Our God
2. How Can I Keep From Singing (This was a new one we introduced, and it just might make its 2nd appearance next Sunday)
3. The Old Rugged Cross
4. 10,000 Reasons

1 comment:

  1. Josh, I had an amazing time leading worship last week. Thanks for the opportunity, and for wanting to do it again sometime! I was helping Kate get the boys in their classes and completely missed How Can I Keep From Singing! Thanks for leading it again though, I'm glad it's a keeper!

    Thanks again Josh, keep it up buddy.

    ReplyDelete