Saturday, July 14, 2012

Preparing for Sunday, 7/15/12

Hey folks,
here's to a little last-minute prep for Sunday morning. I'll keep this short, since time is also short.

Jordan will preach tomorrow morning on 1 Corinthians 3:16-23, focusing on all we've been given in Christ, by God Himself. This is the Apostle Paul's big killer of boasting in this passage: that God truly has and continues to give us EVERYthing in His Son. So why would we boast in which teachers we follow in the Church, or in abilities that we have, or programs we've been a part of? We need to guard ourselves against becoming short-sighted to the big, huge, grandiose picture of what God really has given us in Christ. Hope you'll be there with us to hear the sermon tomorrow, as Jordan unpacks this text.

We'll sing the following songs:

1. Let Your Kingdom Come
(New song from last week. I'm including the YouTube player for this at the bottom of the post. Give it a few more listens!)

2. Before The Throne Of God Above
Here's a line from this hymn, that tells us exactly how to fight the accusations and temptations of the Devil. Ready? "When Satan tempts me to despair and tells me of the guilt within/Upward I look and see Him there Who made an end of all my sin/Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free/For God the Just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me!"

3. Christ Is Risen
"Let no one caught in sin remain inside the lie of inward shame/But fix our eyes upon the cross, and run to Him who showed great love/And bled for us, freely He bled for us."

4. It Is Well With My Soul
"My sin, Oh! the bliss of this glorious thought/My sin not in part, but the whole/Was nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more/Praise the Lord, praise the Lord oh my soul!"

Hope to see you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment