Saturday, November 13, 2010

Preparing for Sunday, 11-14-10

It’s Saturday night, and I’m at home, thinking about church tomorrow morning. I’m relaxed at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll have the usual “jitters” when my alarm goes off at 5:40 AM. By jitters, I mean the mixture of excitement and anxiety that usually comes along with everything we all have to think through for a Sunday morning church service.

But it’s all good. I’m looking forward to church tomorrow, because I get to be with my family, and “charge up” for the week ahead. I’m reminded of Hebrews 10:23-25, which says,

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” (Emphasis added)

For the writer of Hebrews, meeting together as the gathered local church is serious business. I want to think like this about church, and fight to never waste a Sunday by missing out on the joy of meeting together as the family of God. Lets strive to see Sunday as a time when we get to “hold fast” to truth together, to encourage one another and “stir up one another to love and good works.” Again, the writer of Hebrews is serious about church, and tells us that the health of our souls depends on meeting together.

So tomorrow Pastor Jordan will be bringing the preaching of the Word, from Titus 2:9,10, about slaves (workers), worshiping God through their work. He’ll be focusing on the Gospel as the key element that enables such worship to take place.

We’ll be singing of the greatness and goodness of God with Indescribable and Blessed Be Your Name, and leading into the sermon with the hymn Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken, which is an amazing song about Gospel-driven Christian living.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment